Monday, December 28, 2009

Sweater pattern is featured in the Winter Spin-Off 09

Yes, the buttons are turquoise, do not adjust your set. I bought these cute buttons and couldn't wait to get them on something. I can always switch them out later if I get tired of them and I also couldn't wait until I could shop for buttons that would match better but I think I'm happy with them. I went by the pattern pretty much, I did a regular rib because I didn't like the look of the twisted rib it called for. I made the ribbing at the neck shorter because I didn't like the one it called for, to big and poked me in the neck. In binding off the ribbing down the from edges I bound it off in a purl stitch instead of in the K1P1 it called for, I liked how it looked better. I spun the yarn on my Louet because I wanted the biggest skeins possible so I would have fewer ends to deal with, (Louet has great big bobbins) there wasn't alot of finishing to deal with as the sleeves are done in the round and the fronts and back are on the needle at the same time so there are no seams to sew. The only finishing is tucking in the ends, and sewing on the buttons.
the sweater isn't blocked yet but it will be as soon as I figure out how to properly block a sweater.

the little bits to the left of the sweater is what I had left over, 3 little bits of yarn and 3 little swatches I could rip out if I needed the yarn. I really thought I was going to have to call the Fingerlakes Woolen Mill where I got the Hog Island wool roving. They are at www.fingerlakes-yarns.com no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. My sweater is made from Natalie if I remember correctly, the code on the bag is N09. The Hog Island sheep have a story. I first heard of them in a book I was reading, Water Woman by Lenore Hart. Her books are great, check them out. This novel is set on Hog Island off the coast of Virginia. the sheep being on an island became feral, taking care of themselves perfectly. Someone in the 70's decided they needed rescued and rounded them all up and took them to Mount Vernon. Of course they missed a few so I'm told there are still Hog Island sheep on Hog Island. the novel doesn't go into any of this about the sheep, they are just mentioned in passing but it peeked my interest in hog island sheep. The wool is wonderfully soft, I bought mine at the Hemlock Lake fiber fest in N.Y. state this past September from the above company.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is BEAUTIFUL. Congratulations on a gorgeous finished project.

Post a Comment