Sunday, January 31, 2010

My gadabout socks - added March 14, 2010

My toe up socks, knit with the stretchy sock yarn from the "kit" below. I knit these while backseat driving across, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama (knit the heel while riding across Alabama at 70 mph.) Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania again. We were vacationing in Florida, first on the Panhandle in Destin and then on the Atlantic at Amelia Island. The socks were something to do in the car project, the heel doesn't show up well in the photo but it's all garter stitch and my favorite heel and very comfortable. I knit socks on one long 40" size 2 needle.


A friend gave me the best idea! Put a copy of the pattern you want to use with the yarn in a bag so when you get around to starting your project you don't spend time looking for the pattern. Because sometimes you never do find the pattern or can't remember what you intended to make with that yarn or fiber. You can add the needle and other supplies but I like to keep all my needles together and am usually using the same ones over and over.

The kit on the left is Patons stretchy sock yarn, 41% Cotton, 39% wool, 13% Nylon and 7% elastic. The pattern is my own "toe up" sock pattern that I've been making for years.

The "kit" on the right is a free pattern on the web "Give me a Purl" It's a One Row Lace Scarf, sent to me by the same friend (thanks Barb) and the skein is 100% wool fingering weight (I consider it lace weight) but the label says fingering, I bought it from Yorkshire Meadows in Mansfield, PA. Her wool is wonderful and very clean. Usually I spin my own but this is finer than I like to spin. So when I get around to these projects, they are ready to go. This will be especially nice when looking for a project to take with me when away from home, no hunting around for the patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment